Sunday, November 17, 2013

Football Feastivities

Happy Sunday! I spent my day pulling together what turned out to be a delicious and comforting Sunday meal. I have been so busy this month, but had that itch to really throw myself into creating a delicious meal from scratch with no help. No couples in the kitchen this time! I decided earlier this week that this Sunday was the PERFECT occasion. Ravens v. Bears. As a born and bred Baltimore girl, I am true to my Ravens. As I type this, I am, for the very first time this season, watching them from the comfort of my own home! Which works out quite perfectly since the weather took an apocalyptic turn this afternoon. Weather and football aside, food is the focus of this post. I had been jonesin' for some chili, so to Pinterest I went. Now I'm a pinning fool, so I knew there had to be something on my 'Yummies' board appropriate for this meal, and I was correct. In fact, I had options. So, I finally settled on "Slow Cooker Quinoa Chicken Chili". And, I mean, what goes better with chili than cornbread?! So, "Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread" is what I chose to accompany my hearty (and protein filled) dish!

Let's start with the chili,

Slow Cooker Quinoa Chicken Chili

What you'll need:
Recipe adapted from The Girl Who Ate Everything

  • One 28 oz can of diced tomatoes
  • One 14 can diced tomatoes with green chilies - I used two 10 oz cans; 1 mild and 1 spicy w/habenero peppers
  • One 15 oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
  • One 15 oz can of chili beans, rinsed and drained
  • One 15 oz can of garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained - this is also my addition, love me some chick peas and the color dynamic it added.
  • One 15 oz can of corn, drained
  • Two cups chicken broth
  • Two large boneless skinless chicken breasts (use three if they're small) 

  • Two teaspoons garlic powder
  • Two teaspoons onion powder
  • Two teaspoons cumin - I used curry powder because I didn't have cumin, and I was not buying it. Turned out great!
  • 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes - I'm always a little heavy handed with my red pepper flakes. Love the spice. Lucky I didn't find a way to use sriracha.
  • Three teaspoons chili powder
  • One cup of quinoa, rinsed 

  • Toppings of your choice - I used non fat yogurt in place of sour cream w/ reduced fat Mexican blend cheese and chopped scallions. DELISH!

First, you'll want to make sure that you have all of your ingredients out and available. In the recent past, I was not a follower of this rule. MISTAKES! I was always a hot mess, running around the kitchen searching for seasonings and more. A few minutes of ingredient prep goes a looooong way.

FLAVAH!

Okay. This part is so easy, take all of your ingredients (except your toppings, silly) and throw them in a 6 qt slow cooker. 

Time to turn this baby on and get to cookin'

If you are planning on having it for dinner, and you begin the process in the AM, I suggest cooking on low for 6-8 hrs. If you're like me, and you want this meal to be done like yesterday, go ahead and set your cooker to high. Mine was finished cooking in about 4 hrs. At the end of the 4 hrs, make sure your chicken is cooked through by removing and cutting open (if you use frozen chicken your cook time may be longer). If chicken is cooked, shred with two forks and mix back in with your chili, give it about 5 more mins to simmer. 

Chicken shredded so easily! Cooking it with the chili fixings makes it so tender!

Turn off slow cooker, serve, add your toppings and NOMNOMNOM. You're done!


:) All Done! Just needs some cornbread.

Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread 

What you'll need:
Recipe adapted from Eat Good 4 Life

  • 1 1/4 cups stone ground yellow corn meal
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour - I'm pretty sure my whole wheat flour was all-purpose, but it worked.
  • One tbsp baking powder
  • One tsp salt
  • 1/4 cup scallions, chopped, reserve one tbsp for sprinkling
  • 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
  • Three jalapeno, chopped
  • Two small garlic clove, peeled and finely minced
  • One cup corn kernels, I get mine in a can
  • One cup plain yogurt
  • 1/4 cup low fat milk - I used non-fat...I'm trying to be good before Thanksgiving. Then, you'll have to watch out.
  • One egg
  • 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese, plus two tablespoons for sprinkling over corn bread
  • 1/4 cup canola oil - I used coconut oil because I have a newly developed obsession.

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9" square pan and set aside. Again, make sure all your ingredients are within arms reach.

Just a few of my dry ingredients.

In a large bowl, whisk together your milk, yogurt, egg, oil. Then add your cheese, corn, jalapeño, garlic and combine.

Next you want to add the rest of your dry ingredients: flour, corn meal, salt, baking powder and fold in with a rubber spatula. I mixed my 2/3 of my scallions in at this point, but the recipe suggests you sprinkle on top after it is added to pan...to each his own.

Lastly, you will want to pour your mixture into the pan (add your scallions if you decided to wait), and pop in the oven for 35-40 mins.

About to go in the oven!
At the last 5 mins of cooking, take out and sprinkle with your reserved tbsps of cheese (and scallions - which I didn't do. I added my reserve to the top before baking.), bake for an additional 5 mins and BOOM. Magic in your mouth!

All done!

This meal was easy to prepare, and was very rewarding because it turned out great! Anthony and I both really enjoyed it. I will say, if you are used to a sweeter cornbread, this is not it. It took some getting used to, but after my second or third taste, I was hooked. It is especially delicious with the chili...that I'm still recovering from. SO FULL. Here are some pics of the finished project 
that I served for Anthony:





What is chili and football without ice cold beer?! The answer here is nothing, folks.







I hope you guys enjoyed this recipe! Let me know if you try it out or of any variations you come up with. I'm always down for a freestyle. 


Cheers <3

No comments:

Post a Comment