Monday, November 11, 2013

New Start November

Monday is almost behind us! Hallelu-yer.

I hope you all had a surprisingly prosperous Monday. I have to say, mine was not that bad. Poor Monday gets such a bad rap, but it certainly has the ability to surprise you.

My Monday turned around when I received an enlightening group iMessage from one of my very best gal pals:

Say what?!

Now when someone wants to escape from social media, my first thought is "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!" In my experience it means one of two things, you have royally screwed things up this time OR you are attempting to be productive and you could use one less distraction. As the conversation with my lady friends developed, I was delighted to find out that the reason for this message was the latter of the two:

Brilliant!!

In an effort to detox her life of the unnecessary drama that is holding her back from her full potential, she has decided to detox for a week, and the first thing to go is social media. Now, I love social media. I don't think I'd be sitting here writing this post if I wasn't a social media enthusiast, but the saying's true, you absolutely can have too much of a good thing.

So, after she told us about this amazing idea, I had to see said list. Luckily enough, my friends are the most generous, and she volunteered to send along for my viewing pleasure before I even had to ask. Her list had some wonderful ideas, and while I'm choosing not to exploit it, it got me thinking about my own list, and what I needed to do to detox. November is my birthday month, and what a better time to work on a better and brighter me. Sometimes we get so caught up in all of the things going wrong, that we lose sight of the power that we have to make most of those things go right. GO FIGURE! We have control over our lives. Yeah, it takes a little lot of effort, and I'll admit that I am not always up to the challenge, especially after the way life's been laying it on lately. But, this really inspired me. And once she suggested doing it together, I was sold. 

So this week, my friends, I challenge you to a detox. Whatever works for you 3-day, 5-day, or maybe even go all out and take it all the way to next Monday. Write up a list of the things in your life that you feel are clouding you and your judgment, and then make a list that you think will allow you to eliminate those little monsters. Whether it be social media, alcohol, food, people....this is a big one, folks. Sometimes you really need to detox your life of certain people, and that is the biggest challenge of all. But how much are you willing to risk to be the happiest version of yourself? 

I took a little time to draft my own monster eliminating list, and that I will share:

Newvember Challenge <-- See what I did there, NEWvember.

  • GO TO THE GYM, YA FOOL! (I dont recommend insulting yourself, but sometimes I just need to remind myself who's boss)
  • Eat when you're hungry, stop when you're full. The food is not going anywhere, I promise.
  • Pick up the Kindle that you removed from your purse over a month ago, put it back in the purse, and finish reading the book you started.
  • Dirty apartment, Clean it up! With Anthony! (Yeah I said that in my head like the annoying Orbitz woman. This is a judgement free zone.)
  • When something is funny, laugh. Don't be miserable out of spite.
  • Do something kind for others everyday.
  • Do something kind for yourself everyday.
  • The only person allowed to affect your mood is you! <-- stole this one from my gal pal's list. It was too good not to.

This list could go on and on, and I am sure that I will think of things to add to it as I go along, and most of these things I will try to incorporate into my everyday life. But I think taking a week to focus on the good we can do for ourselves is one of the best gifts that we can receive...and its FREE.

So, hop to it! Oh, and my friend, her name's Lauren, and she's pretty much a big deal. I would tell you to Facebook her, but she gave that up this week, remember! Who knows though, I have a lot of Spotlight Sundays to fill, and she is certainly admirable. She runs a super cute boutique in the Fells Point neighborhood of Baltimore City. Babe. Follow them on Facebook and Instagram for some fashion tips, and if you are in Baltimore check them out!

Seriously though, make the list and make it count.

Cheers <3

No comments:

Post a Comment