Monday, December 2, 2013

It feels like home to me

Another Thanksgiving come and gone, and I am reminded of just how thankful I am to have a place that I can call home. No matter the alarming eccentricities of my family, I always feel so grateful to be surrounded by their love and humor. The last four days were the greatest escape from the trials of the last few months, and I felt a calmness that was familiar yet foreign...like and old friend that you haven't seen since childhood. While you've grown up and changed a bit, there is a peacefulness when you come back together. That's what home does for me. Baltimore has changed and I have changed, but when we are together, it always feels like home to me. Baltimore brings out the best in me. It reminds me how to love and be grateful and laugh and enjoy every moment. That's just what I did this weekend. I relished in every moment and I can't wait to be reunited with my old friend, Baltimore, in a few weeks for more holiday debauchery!

Here are some highlights from my weekend:

Thursday was full of food, food and more food. My mom is pretty much famous for her annual Thanksgiving feast, and she has yet to disappoint. It was no different this year. And let me tell you, as I briefly alluded to in my last post, I had every single intention of dedicating an entire blog post to her set up, preparation and follow through of this joyous occasion, but my hungry behind just could not even control the impulse to fill my plate the moment the food hit the table. So I literally got TWO photos (only one being of her actual display). I should probably go into journalism, right?

Anywayyyyyyy.....

I'm clearly a handwriting artist...

As you can see, someone was a little too anxious to slice the turkey...but I just love the simple display. I promise we had side dishes.



The rest of the feast was OUTSTANDING. Filled with carbs, cheese and butter and I would have thrown a hissy fit if it were any other way.

Friday was a mellow day, not much photo documentation and absolutely NO Black Friday shopping. I enjoyed time with my dad's crew and my Granny. She is one of my most favorite people to chat with. It amazes me that the heart doesn't age, and she is proof of that every day. I love hearing about her successes and heartbreaks, because I always find that of all of my family members, I really relate to my 83 year old grandmother. Who would have guessed, right? We killed time watching "Say Yes to the Dress", and voicing our loud, abrupt opinions. I was in bed by 10 pm and it was marvelous.

Saturday was another standout day - First, I felt so proud to support Small Business Saturday. Sounds hokey, but the charm that small businesses bring to any community is what makes said community what it is. What made it even better was that I got to support a small business that one of my very best friends manages. Babe. A Boutique. If you are in Baltimore, GO! I honestly wish this little place was my walk in closet. On top of that awesomeness, I was able to enjoy shopping with an old friend who I'd been looking forward to catching up with in person for a while. We shopped and stopped (shop, stop and roll - that is the first thing that popped into my head. sorry. random) into local cafes for some hot dogs and coffee, because that's HOW. WE.  DO.

I hope you all shopped small this weekend! H&M who?! (no, but I really love H&M)

The yummiest soy americano in the land - The Daily Grind in Fells Point



After burning through every cent of my birthday earnings, I raced home to get ready for a night out on the town with my boo thang (and later some friendsies). We  had a night at Woodberry Kitchen in Hampden on the books for months. He had never been and I'm obsessed, so my birthday seemed like the perfect time to go. If you haven't been, it's seriously time to man up and make that reservation. The food is so delicious, and the atmosphere is to die for. I'm gonna throw out a 'You're Welcome' in advance. 



Needless to say, Woodberry did not disappoint.







We were both really passionate about eating. Have you ever seen bigger smiles?











The food was out of this world. We started with their Sour Cream and Onion Dip and Oysters on the Half Shell. Neither dishes disappointed. The dip was simple and familiar, with what I can only imagine to be home made chips taking the dish to the next level. The Oysters were fresh and the variety of sauces spanned far beyond your average cocktail sauce. For entrees, the man enjoyed the most decadent serving of Chicken and Biscuit, and I had the Smoked Rockfish Salad. YUM! All of this aside, what impressed me most was the personal touch on my dessert. I felt so special!

eeeeeep :)
I didn't think this magical night could get any better, but after treating me to a delicious dinner, my loving boyfriend also made sure to wrangle my closest friends to one place to celebrate my birthday for the night. It was one of my more special birthdays, as I am well aware of how hectic holiday weekends at home can be. The amount of people that were able to make it out was really, really nice. We ended the night at Holy Frijoles in Hampden, and it was a blast!

Just a few of my favorite moments captured
I am so grateful for this amazing weekend home. Sunday was filled with family and relaxation...and that empty pit feeling I always get when it's time to leave my home. I am not sure that anywhere will ever live up to the bond that Baltimore and I have, and maybe that's just how it's supposed to be.

I hope you all had a wonderful family filled holiday. I'm a great listener, comment and tell me about it! 

Cheers <3 Tis most definitely the season!

1 comment:

  1. Matt in that bottom left photo, will never not make me laugh. haha I'm such a lucky lady LOL! Miss you! I had a blast the other night. Also, keep these coming, i need something to do at work! :D

    ReplyDelete